|Median Home Value||$828,800|
About Schools in Kahala
For young families, Kahala is an especially good place to live. There are dozens of public schools in Kahala as well as private schools including Punahou School—the alma mater of President Barack Obama—and Mid Pac Christian Academy; there are also plenty of daycare facilities. For more advanced learners, Kahala offers several private high schools that have a solid reputation throughout Oahu.
About Shopping in Kahala
The community has outstanding shopping opportunities. Kahala Mall is a beautiful, upscale shopping center that has a very wide variety of clothing stores and food places to choose from, including Whole Foods.
Kahala | Extras
- The west side of Oahu has some of Hawaii’s best beaches, which means that finding things to do around Kahala isn’t a problem. Those who are looking for some alone time and relaxation should visit Pali Lookout. The area is great for picnics and offers breathtaking views from over 1,000 feet above sea level. Hikers will love spending hours on one of Oahu’s most popular trails, Kuliouou Ridge Trail.
- Aka Koko Crater Trail, also known as “Koko Head Stairs” is a highly popular destination for people who love to climb and see great views. There are a total of 1,050 steps from the bottom of the trail to the top, making it a test of endurance. The stairs are made of old railroad ties and railway that are mounted to the hillside. They are remnants of an old military tram used to haul cargo and supplies to the top when bunkers were built during World War II. Many people come to picnic and take in gorgeous views from the top of a 100-foot high observation tower (no fees).
- There are several award-winning restaurants in Kahala that have long been staples of Honolulu nightlife. On the edge of the white sands of Kahala, the oceanside Plumeria Beach House is an open-air, all day dining restaurant, reminiscent of a comfortable island home, with indoor and outdoor terraces, perfect for casual dining, quiet meetings and cocktails at sunset. Enjoy Seaside Grill and Merriman’s for top-notch Hawaiian fusion food, or Ono Hawaiian Foods for ethnic eats.
- There are also plenty of bars around Kahala, such as The Keg Room and Trader Vic’s, where you can enjoy a nice cocktail while taking in beautiful views of Oahu.
- Kahala Country Club is a great place to golf. This country club features an 18-hole golf course designed by Ted Robinson that can be challenging even for experienced players. Enjoy manicured greens and fairways as you walk or ride through terrain that offers several water hazards, elevations and plenty of sand traps. For those interested in taking up or improving their game, the club offers lessons from PGA professionals.
About Real Estate in Kahala
Kahala is a very up and coming community, with many exciting new homes and condos being built. With an average price of around $1.2 million for homes on Oahu, Kahala is considered one of island’s most exclusive areas but still offers homeownership opportunities for those looking to start a family. There are also several older homes dating back to when developers purchased swaths of land in what used to be very low-income communities. Many of these houses offer lower prices than newer properties; however they require more maintenance and upkeep due to their age. According to StreetAdvisor Kahala ranks on top 3rd for family places in Hawaii.
If a resort purchase is your idea of heaven, head over to the Kahala Hotel and Resort, which features resorts and homes surrounded by tropical landscapes. The largest resort in Hawaii and one of the largest hotels in America (more than 3,000 rooms), it is home to eight championship golf courses that have hosted some of pro golf’s biggest events, including numerous LPGA tour tournaments.