|Median Home Value||$1,200,000|
About Schools in Paia
There are three public schools in Paia. The largest school is Paia Elementary School which serves grades K-6. The next closest school is Ka’eleku O Ke Kai Charter School, which serves grades 6-8. And there is a private school, Maui Country Day School, which serves grades 2-12.
About Shopping in Paia
Paia has a unique blend of surf shops, high-end boutique stores, restaurants, artisan galleries, and other tourist related businesses. In the heart of town there is Mana Foods, a high quality one-stop store with an impressive selection of premium grocery items, some local and organic. The main drag of Paia is Baldwin Avenue, a four-block stretch of mostly one-story stores where there is everything from an art gallery to a surf shop to a health food store and a gym. The center of Paia is also home to some delightful eateries including Paia Fish Market and Paia Bay Burger.
Although there aren’t any major supermarkets here, Pauwela Marketplace offers a variety of fresh fruit and veggies along with specialty items while Makawao Farmers Market has locally grown fruits, veggies and other products plus homemade desserts. For imported goods and clothing there’s Kauai Koloa New Deal and Hanalei Warehouse Sports.
Paia | Extras
- Paia initially flourished in the late 1800s as the site of a bustling sugar cane operation. But as the plantation’s days slowed and petered out during the latter part of the 1900s, so did the town’s financial viability. Soon there was an influx of newcomers as the emergence of wind-surfing began to lure fans and participants from around the world. At the same time, Paia was discovered by the “counterculture” who are attracted the town’s reasonable rents and proximity to the ocean.
- If friends come to visit you can put them up at the hip, boutique hotel Paia Inn where you’ll find affordable rooms with ocean views, or try Hotel Paia for mid-range rates.
- Grab a fish burger at the popular Paia Fishmarket.
- Head to Hookipa Beach, the “windsurfing capital of the world.” During the winter, the big north shore waves make this beach a magnet for pro windsurfers and kite surfers. Watch the pros compete or swim and sunbathe in the calmer summer months.
- Another popular Paia beach is H.A. Baldwin Beach Park, which features a baby beach with a lagoon.